Dark Chocolate Ginger Waffles
1 cup cake flour
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 cup unsweetened dark cocoa powder
¾ cup light brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon coarse salt
3 large eggs, separated
2 cups buttermilk
½ cup coconut oil, liquid form
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 ½ teaspoon almond extract
1 medium zucchini, shredded (smallest shredder size possible)
2 drops Ginger oil
Greek Yogurt Almond-Ginger Whipped Cream
1 cup heavy cream, chilled
½ cup Greek yogurt
Powdered sugar, to taste
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 toothpick with Ginger oil
- Preheat oven to 250° F and place a wire rack over a baking sheet, set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flours, cocoa, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Whisk until evenly combined.
- Make a well in the center of the bowl and pour in the egg yolks, buttermilk, coconut oil, almond extract, vanilla extract, and Ginger oil. Mix until just combined and lump-free.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Make sure the bowl and beaters are super clean so that egg whites fluff up properly. Add beaten egg whites to the batter, a little at a time, and fold them in gently until evenly combined.
- Shred zucchini and fold into batter.
- Heat waffle iron and lightly grease with cooking spray. Add about ¼ cup of batter to the center of the hot waffle iron. Close lid and cook according to your waffle iron’s instructions.
- Transfer to prepared wire rack baking sheet. Keep waffles warm in the preheated oven while you continue to cook the rest and make the cream. Serve with the Greek Yogurt Ginger-Almond Whipped Cream and real maple syrup.
- In a medium-sized bowl, beat heavy cream, yogurt, sugar, almond extract, and Ginger oil on medium-high speed until soft peaks form. Taste and add more yogurt or cream to taste and whisk again to soft peaks.
Tip: Make sure the egg whites have no yolk remnants when being whipped.
I would love to hear your thoughts about these waffles.. drop a comment below.